We recently launched so if you see any technical glitches please email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Write for Us
This is still a developing doc.
Do you have an article that you would like to submit to the Bhutan News Service (BNS)? Are you a professional writer or a budding citizen journalist with a story to tell? If so, these guidelines set out how to proceed.
BNS has a network of writers who submit original previously-unpublished articles about Bhutan and Bhutanese refugees. The target audience is any Bhutanese living in Bhutan or in the Diaspora. We also aim to inform the international community about Bhutan.
Sadly, we don’t have the finances to pay for this content. Those writing for BNS do so because they are passionate about informing the public debate. Our whole editorial proposition is built on the generosity of the Bhutanese community worldwide who believe in the importance of sharing accurate, fair, objective and impartial news and information.
Before an article is considered for publication by BNS all writers are asked to submit a 200-word pitch setting out why the issue they are considering writing about is important, who it will affect, and the implications. One of the BNS editorial team will then consider the idea and respond.
Any content submitted for publication on BNS must be all your own work. There must be no plagiarism. All the words you submit to BNS must be yours. You must not copy and paste from other outlets other than to include quotes which must be accompanied by attribution. All images used must either be yours or they must be images which are marked as being free to use and must be accompanied by full attribution. BNS does not publish copyright material without first obtaining permission.
Acceptance of a pitch doesn’t necessarily mean the article will be published. If the pitch is accepted, and after the piece is submitted, it will go through a rigorous editorial process to ensure it meets the BNS quality-control standards.
Please include a short biography with your submitted pitch so that we can attach it to the article if the pitch is accepted and if the resulting article is selected for publication. Please provide your full name and contact information so that we can verify your identity if needed.
There will be an editing process involved with any submitted work, and you might be asked to address any feedback/suggestions that our editors might give you. Please accept this in the spirit of editorial collaboration rather than criticism. Our aim is to train our writers through this process. The BNS editorial team, which is experienced in this field, is happy to share its experience in order to build the capacity of our network of volunteer writers.
You will retain copyright for any words, images, video you submit that is yours. However all content on BNS is published under the terms of the global Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 4.0 license. This means that anyone is free to reuse the content on BNS under three conditions.
- BY: That full attribution is given mentioning the original source of the material.
- NC: That any BNS content is not reused for commercial gain.
- SA: That any derivatives of the content on BNS is shared under the same Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 4.0 license.
- Submit a 200-word pitch setting out why your article idea is important, who it will affect, and the implications.
- Let us know who you are and why you are an authority in the topic you are covering.
- Ensure that any words you produce are original, not copied from any other outlet and that it has not been published elsewhere.
- Ensure that any images or video associated with your proposed article is either your own work OR that it is clearly labeled as being free to be published online and provide full attribution.
- Provide a short biography to be published along with your work.
- You will retain the copyright for any information published, but BNS will republish it under the terms of Creative Commons BY-NC-SA 4.0.
- You will not be remunerated for work submitted and published.
By submitting an article to BNS you’re agreeing that you’ve read these guidelines thoroughly.